Had An Accident?
What to do in the case of an accident
Did you recently have an accident or want to be prepared for a future accident? Follow this simple process to ensure that you have all the details you need for a proper insurance claim and smooth handling of your vehicle repair.
Print off our handy accident report and store this in your vehicle at all times…click here.
At the time of an accident…
- Stop your vehicle if it is clear, safe and legal.
- Move the vehicle out of the traveled roadway, if it is clear, safe and legal. (In some states it is against the law to move the vehicle from the place where the accident occurred. Check the ordinance in your area.)
- Turn off the ignitions of the cars involved.
- Make a first aid check of all persons involved in the accident.
- Call the police and, if necessary, emergency medical services.
- Mark the scene of the accident with flares or reflective triangles.
- Gather the names of all persons in the motor vehicles and people who witnessed the accident.
- Make a quick diagram of where the vehicle occupants were seated and indicate the vehicles’ direction of travel and lane. Also note the date, time and weather conditions.
- Ask to see the other driver's license* and write down the number.
- Exchange insurance company information. DO NOT discuss “fault” or make statements about the accident to anyone but the police.
- Get a copy of the police report of the accident from the local precinct.
After the accident ...
- Call your insurance agent, inform them what happened and make your claim.
- Call Cauley Performance Paint & Auto Body to make sure the tow truck delivered your vehicle to us and we are aware of your situation.
- Get police report for your insurance company. They will need this in filing the claim.
- Get estimate from Cauley, in the event your insurance company does not waive your deductible, you may be eligible for Mini Tort whereas the person at fault in the accident will have their insurance company cover your deductible. The end result is you would pay nothing.
From this point on, we will stay in close contact with you and inform you of the progress on your vehicle and insure you a quick turn-around time.